Understand What Is Changing With CECL
Our familiar incurred loss method is being replaced by the Current Expected Credit Loss (CECL) method. No longer will it be sufficient or acceptable to book reserves as losses happen. Instead now we must estimate and book expected lifetime losses at the origination date of the loan.
Discover How CECL Works
CECL has three main parts. Historic loss rates, adjustments for current conditions, and adjustments for expected future conditions. The adjustments allow management some latitude but are designed to complement, not co-opt, the loss rate component. Your historic loss rates will be the biggest and most important part of the CECL puzzle.
Consider Your Data Requirements
You may use aggregate or loan level loss rate calculations. Data depends on which one you select. Aggregate uses data from regulatory filings and is readily available. Loan level will require many years of detailed history data on every individual loan, loss and recovery, along with mapping info and personally identifiable info to tie all the pieces together.
Adjust Reserve Expectations
Today’s incurred method measures the current loss in the portfolio, often expressed as an annual loss rate. CECL will measure the current risk in the portfolio and will usually be quoted as a lifetime loss rate. It makes sense that lifetime loss rate reserves will exceed annual loss reserves, so plan for a bigger (perhaps significantly bigger) reserve with CECL.
Estimate CECL ImpactThe only way to know for sure is to run your numbers. NXTsoft is your partner in providing pre-purchase estimates of your CECL reserve. Just ask and see how quickly and easily we can turn it around. Remember that’s just a preview of how we’ll work together to help you solve your CECL implementation problems. Complete the form to the right to claim a FREE CECL Report and evaluate NXTsoft as your CECL provider.
What NXTsoft Does To Produce Your Quarterly CECL Report
• We capture all required financial data from Call Reports
• We perform all required calculations using the open pool method
• We derive all required peer calculations…Using the exact same data and methodologies
• We collect and evaluate your Qualitative factors via our symmetrical matrix
• We assist in developing and applying required adjustments to best reflect your situation
• We make sure you are Exam-Ready with our self-contained report and CECL education
What Your Financial Institution Does To Help NXTsoft Produce Your Quarterly CECL Report
• You set aside time to review and help us fine tune your inputs and results
• You get back to focusing on banking while we do all the CECL heavy lifting